Monday, May 02, 2011

Formulas

I used to think that good could outweigh bad. That no matter how much I sinned, if I did an equal number of good things, I would be even. So, if I yelled at my mom, but did the dishes without being asked the next day, the scale would stay the same. It’s not that I didn’t believe it when God said that it is our belief that takes us to heaven, not our works- it’s that I believed that the more good works one did, the more God would love that person.
I’ve never been able to make that scale equal, and you never will be able to either. I don’t think I can anymore. I know no one can. But, if I know that I can’t equalize that scale, why do I keep trying? So, if I know I can’t do that, what do I do?
Good and bad can never be equalized-especially in numbers. Either it’s good or bad-bad cannot equal good, and good cannot equal bad. It’s plain enough that this formula is unchangeable- so, I’m asking and wondering why we think that WE can re-arrange a cosmic chemistry formula? And, “Because we’re human...” does not count. That’s only part of the equation, but it’s something that we so often offer as an excuse as to why we think or do something- it’s an escape route from digging deep enough to actually discover the answer. In my last post, I said that if a person tells themselves something enough times, they start to believe it.
That fact is true in this case as well. But the truth is, or, at least I think it is, is that because we’re human, even as Christians, we maintain the stupid belief that we know better than God. This may not be a conscious thought, but it’s true. I know I often think that. Ephesians 2:10 says, “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.” Our salvation is the result of belief, of faith in Christ’s sacrifice on the cross, and nothing else.
But we are commanded to grow in our faith-though it’s not the requirement for salvation- growing in our faith and trust of God includes studying the Scriptures, and in endeavouring to follow His commands. When we are truly following Christ, good works become the result of that, and even though we are still and always will be sinners, good works in this context results in the diminishing of our sinful acts.
Being “created in Christ Jesus” means that when we truly pursue Him, we won’t want to disappoint Him- we’ll be far more convicted of our sin, and the fact that it pains Him when we do sin against Him. God prepared beforehand the good works He wants each of us to do, individually and together, and walk in. He didn’t say “I have these good works that I want you to do, but if you mess up, you can do something good to balance it out.” He said “...created in Christ Jesus for good works...”
I know I’m running on about the same thing, but it’s because I am thinking about it as I write- because I don’t know the answers to all of my questions. Why do I think I know more than God in a situation? Why is my belief and faith in His forgiveness so weak? Why do I feel that I SHOULD be pained when I sin? Why when I ask for forgiveness for something do I not feel remorse? You can’t fake remorse to God-so, how do we become remorseful if we aren’t? Why do I think that God can’t or won’t answer these questions?
I’m a sinner, with a lack of faith and understanding. I am not fearful of the awe of God. We can’t put a patch on these questions. Like a bike tire, it eventually comes back to bite you.
Do you know the answers to these questions? Because I sure as heck don’t. What questions or thoughts do you have about this?


~SarahLydia
{< Forgiven by Grace >}

Ink Spills by {{Beauty from Ashes}}

1 comment:

  1. Just read both of your writings on your blog and was so blessed!!! I love how transparent your heart is and how well you express yourself in writing. Love seeing how you are on this wonderful journey of grace...Jesus said, Seek and you wil...l find. Not maybe find, but WILL find! In retrospect of your question "Why is our belief and faith in His forgiveness so weak"... I believe that sometimes we value our personal experiences more valid than what God's Word says. Most of the time it stems out of pain from the past...and the lies from that pain speak more loudly because it is personal to us. Our pain says...God cannot forgive my past because I've sinned too much and my sin is a part of me. This is where we need the light of God's word to heal us. Romans 12:2 says that we can be transformed by the renewing of our minds. Our natural minds need to be renewed by the Truth of God's word. When this happens, the lies are replaced and we are able to believe His Word and live in it...thus we are healed! Psalm 107:20 says...He sent out his word and healed them; he rescued them from the grave. Believing the Word, rescues us from death and lies from the pain of our past, and brings us to Truth! :) So the lie that Jesus can't forgive us because we're too bad, needs to be replaced by 2 Cor 5:21 "God made him (Jesus) who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." If you believe, (and I think you do), you are now righteous. Not because of your works, but that Jesus took your place!!! This good news makes us act better by accident, than if we tried our best to be good!! I hope this makes sense...excuse my ramblings! Love you girl...you're on the right track!!

    ReplyDelete